The purpose of the unit is to provide a project management framework for the implementa¬tion of Discretionary Grant projects within wider organisational capacity building strategies and supporting the implementa¬tion of discretionary grant projects.
The functions provided by the unit, in general are:
- Governance: Oversight & Risk Management
- Facilitate project prioritization & approval process
- Perform Risk Assessment, tracking and communication
- Manage pipeline, consulting with teams and leaders
- Active management of portfolio
- Aggregation of project data, perform analysis, identify trends and make recommendations
- Define tools, templates and process
- Ensure effective use and solicit feedback
- Govern its application to validate if it is achieving the stated results purpose
- Aggregate project costs and benefits
- Facilitate timely calculations of accruals and anticipated cash flow
In fulfilling its mandate as outlined in the Skills Development Act of 1998 which establishes Sector Education and Training Authorities, Public Services Sector Education and Training Authority (PSETA) makes available Discretionary Grants to all qualifying stakeholders operating within its ambit.
For the 2017/18 financial year, PSETA identified key strategic/preferred partners with whom to partner in the rolling out of various training initiatives that address sectoral training needs as identified in the PSETA Sector Skills Plan, and also addressing the PSETA Annual Performance Plan. A DG window for the 2017/18 financial year was made available to these selected preferred/strategic partners through invitations of proposals with the closing date of 30 June 2017.
The assessment of proposals received on or before the closing date took place on 10th and 11th July by the Grants Assessment Committees established in line with clause 12 of the 2017/18 PSETA Discretionary Grant Policy. The proposals were presented to the Discretionary Grant Sub-Committee which subsequently made recommendations to the PSETA Accounting Authority (AA).
On 17th August 2017 the PSETA AA approved the 2017/18 DG projects to the value of R 39 887 250.00